Monday, February 4, 2008

Reading Deprivation Over

I missed reading more than I thought I would. Even allowing myself to read work-related emails and the like. I couldn't keep up with my friends' blogs or any of the others I like to read. No reading magazines or books. I couldn't even start a new knitting project, because I couldn't read the instructions.

The interesting thing is how impossible it is to not read at all. Words are everywhere. Just glancing around my office, I see words on the following:

Calendar
Stapler
Computer speakers
Water bottle
Telephone
Shredder
Computer screen
Computer
Book spines in bookshelf
Magazines on credenza
File folder box
Printer paper package
Voice recorder for dictation
The Monet print on the wall

That's just in my office. At home, they are on food packages, on the television screen, books, CDs, DVDs, appliances, toiletries, etc. etc. etc. There is absolutely no way a literate person can give up reading completely for a week unless you go into seclusion somewhere with all your food in unmarked plastic containers.

John pointed out that to write, you are by default also reading. I struggled with this dilemma as well. I wrote Morning Pages, since they were allowed, but did not work on anything new. Nor could I do revisions since that involves a lot of reading.

What did I do instead? I walked once more than I would have anyway. I watched television. I watched a few movies. I worked on an afghan using a pattern I know by heart. Pretty much what I would do anyway, except read. There were no revelations--except the one about not really being able to avoid reading. Maybe if the weather had been warmer, I would have gotten out a little more. I thought about my revisions on HM and what I want to do with D&D, but I couldn't write them down.

Maybe I will find the reasons later in the program. Maybe the benefits will show up later, too. I'm just very glad it is over.

4 comments:

Jenny Maloney said...

I'm pretty sure that this week in the 'system' is to get you to be quiet and to be okay with quiet. Somewhere in there I think she also says to dodge television/music/anything we use as 'distractions' from our own thoughts and ideas. When I did this week it was, and still is, the hardest one I accomplished.

Cathleen said...

I just started week 4. So does this mean that when I go to work, I can't read emails from my boss or customers? Or does this apply to just recreational or mindless reading, much like when we watch television? If I can't read between 9 to 5, I'll have to take a vacation week! Thanks~ Cathy

D.B. deClerq said...

You are not supposed to read anything. Even if you work. Even if you're in school. For myself, I said I'd give up recreational reading only.

Good luck.

Minion GIR said...

It was a hard week for me, too. I think DB may have the same problem I do with quiet. [I know it's hard to believe we have anything in common except writing and place of employment]

My ideas don't usually come when I'm quiet. At least not when I'm quiet and idle. I have to be physically doing something: hiking, mountain biking, quilting, even driving. But if I just sit and stare into space, nothing.