Monday, June 11, 2007

The Why and How of the Weekly Prompt

I mentioned that I met a friend for wine and conversation yesterday. We orginally met when I ran started Feminine Ink. A group of women got together once a month to freewrite based on prompts that I supplied. I had to let the group go because I needed more time to actually write.

But Laurel and I both miss the regular get-togethers and the fun we had sharing what we wrote from those prompts. So once a week, I'll post a prompt here. The rules are simple, read the prompt and start writing-by hand. You shouldn't think about it much. This is an off-the-cuff thing. Write for 7-10 minutes without stopping and without self-editing while you write. Once the pen starts moving, it has to keep going until time is up. If you start on a tangent, go with it. There's gold in them thar tangents.

If you'd like, post what you wrote in the comments. I will add mine when I'm done.

No comments: