Monday, June 11, 2007

Chopping Wood and Prewriting

Last night I had a little trouble falling asleep because I didn't write anything all weekend. It felt like I accomplished nothing. Even though I watched a friend's dog, cleaned, did five loads of laundry, etc. I moved a lot of junk out of the Blue Room in preparation for a making it the Lilac Room. And I met a friend yesterday whom I hadn't talked to in months. We caught up, drank a little wine and really enjoyed ourselves. Not a wasted weekend by any means.

But I didn't write. Except...I did in a way.

Let me go back a little bit. One of the aspens next to my deck died over the winter. I think something infested it--I don't know as much as I'd like about trees and other plants so I can't be sure just what killed it. Last week a windstorm blew it over. Luckily, it fell in such a way that it didn't hurt the deck, the shed, the garage, the fence or the rose bushes. Early Saturday morning I went out and cut it into manageable chunks to get it out of the way. While I sawed and sweated and cursed a little bit, I thought about the next scene in HM.

Then this morning on my walk, I thought about it some more. I now know exactly what I need to do in that next scene. When I sit down to work, I won't have to stare at a blank screen trying to figure out what to write. So, I guess I did write this weekend.

No comments: