Thursday, January 24, 2008

Fate Also Abhors A Vacuum

It always seems that just when you unload one job, three other rear their ugly heads to fill up the space. That happened this week.

Fleur very kindly offered to take The Writer's Life column in the PPW NewsMagazine off my hands. Not a lot of time open, but one less thing to worry about. Then I finished my rough of HM. I want to let it sit for a while before I make a few changes I know it needs. Then I will give to any Pirates who wish to read it.

This should mean that I have time to work on D&D now. My lighter, probably even more marketable than HM, cozy. Instead, I am dealing with plumbing. Yes, you read right. Plumbing.

A while back I posted about the danger of letting little problems grow into big problems. In this case, there was very little warning. A leak under the kitchen sink on Saturday. I used Plumbers Putty to fix the seals on either side of the trap. 24 hours later the leak was back. I then replaced the washers. Another 24 hour reprieve. As I was adjusting the pipes, my thumb poked right through one. It seems the pipes are as old as the house.

I planned to leave work a few hours early today to await delivery of my comfy recliner. Now I'm taking a half day so I can go home, take out all the pipes under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and go to Home Depot for replacements. Then as I wait for the delivery truck, I will be replacing metal pipes with PVC.

The good news is that this may be fodder for future installments of HM. Maybe even a short story. But right now, it's time I am not writing.

3 comments:

Ali said...

HM rough is done? Huzzah!

Your pipe problem isn't wasted time, it's valuable research for future writing projects. Just keep that in mind.

Sign me up as an HM reader. As soon as you're ready for other eyes to gaze upon it, I'm ready for a copy.

Jenny Maloney said...

You sneaky thing! Finishing a RD while our backs were turned! Hand it over (when you're ready of course...).

D.B. deClerq said...

Somehow I knew you two would be the first to comment here. Fleur already asked at the reporter meeting.

I don't say often enough how much I appreciate all of you, but I do.