Monday, January 21, 2008

Artist's Way Check In - Week 2

I did finish Week 2 along with Morning Pages, Tasks and the Artist's Date. I actually did 9 of the ten tasks. After reading Week 2, I realized that there were tasks I'd like to do that built on tasks from the first week that I hadn't chosen. In order to avoid that in future, I went back and completed the other 5 tasks from Week 1 and then all but one of the tasks from Week 2. I had planned on doing the last task, but just ran out of time. Maybe this week.

The Artist's Date for this week was a trip to American Furniture Warehouse. It's been a while since I had a comfortable chair. My rocking chair looks good, but it's wood. Even with a cushion, it's not good for the long haul. The chair that matches my living room set is twenty years old like the rest of the set. Again, not comfortable. It doesn't even look good. So I sat in chairs. Many chairs. I decided on an inexpensive, but very comfortable, recliner. It should be delivered by the end of the week. Not only did I have fun looking, but I'll have something to keep.

I'm seeing one of the down sides of The Artist's Way when the writer has a full time job. Sometimes the tasks leave little time for actual work on your project. I know the program was designed for people who are blocked. I would assume that most who start this are not working on anything at all. I also know that I am experiencing a bit of cognitive dissonance about the whole thing. So I am going to keep going.

Week 3 is titled, "Recovering A Sense of Power." John had posted something about ending up on a comfortable couch in an office somewhere. Week 2 and Week 3 feel as if they are substituting for that couch. It may be the way the whole thing feels. If it works, I won't mind having some of these issues dredged up. If it doesn't......I don't know. Maybe I still won't mind.

No comments: