Monday, March 17, 2008

Artist's Way Check-in, Week 10

It's amazing that I'm this close to the end. I've realized that it's a program I'll probably be doing in some form from now on.

Week 10 is Recovering a Sense of Self-Protection. I'm looking at the things that I tend to let interfere with my writing. Sometimes it feels like everything. I have been reminded of a question I came across in another book. "How does it serve you?" The book was about a woman's quest for self-discovery. She suffered from several chronic illnesses. When she talked to a healer, he asked her, "How does your disease serve you?" Her first reaction was anger. Naturally. Then she thought about it. She got a lot of sympathy from family and friends. She had a ready excuse for not participating in things. Etc.

I had forgotten about that question. Now I have a Post-It on my workstation. When I complain about something (or someone) infringing on my writing time, I'll ask myself the question.

Do you have something or someone who eats up your writing time? How does it serve you to allow it?

No comments: