Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Finally

A good book. The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz broke the streak of really bad mysteries. The question is: Is it a cozy? I guess an argument could be made because it's about a family and, mainly, what goes on in their family life. But the family business is private investigation so they are all professionals. And what goes on is a lot of cloak and dagger. The last two things would say it isn't a cozy. It really doesn't matter. It's a fun read.

Which leads to a question. Does it matter what label you put on a book as far as genre goes? I have seen some pretty nasty exchanges on one of the Yahoo! lists I'm part of over genre. Those who write "genre fiction" stating things along the lines of "those literary snobs." Arguments over what is literary as opposed to Literature. Gnashing of teeth over the death of horror as a separate genre. Does any of it really matter to anyone outside the writing community?

I don't really think so. People pick up books they think they'll like. They may start in the Mystery section or Romance or Fiction. But then they scan the sale tables or the staff recommendations. They remember a book someone told them about, or that they heard about on Fresh Air. I have never heard any non-writer friends say anything along the lines of, "It was supposed to be a mystery, but there's an awful lot of romance and a poltergeist so it probably should be called paranormal romance with undertones of mystery. It always bothers me when they mislabel something like that." They either say it's good or it's not.

So why do we tie ourselves up in knots over these labels? Or do you? Do you just write what you want?

3 comments:

Jenny Maloney said...

I would not qualify *The Spellman Files* as a cozy. Hell, I'm kinda questioning whether it's an all-out mystery. It's got the genre elements, but not the conclusion...does that make sense? If I had to class the novel I'd put it next to Janet Evanovich's work--sassy private eye is really close to sassy bounty hunter in my head. But both are more violent than Diane Mott Davidson's work.

As far as genre goes, I'm in favor of the labels if it helps *readers* find what they want. That's what publishers, etc, are asking for when they ask about genre--the secret question is "Who's gonna read this?" I don't think writers need to get all up-in-arms about it.

Pigeon holing is a rough deal, but to besmirch another writer because of what they write...well, that's just rude. Good writing is good writing, no matter where it's found.

D.B. deClerq said...

I questioned whether it was an actual mystery, too. But I got it through the Mystery Guild Book Club.

And you are correct about good writing. I would say I don't read fantasy, but you all got me hooked on Neil Gaiman.

Ali said...

Genres are funny things and primarily arbitrary. Besides, a lot of the time, my favorites mix genres anyway. Like Jenny says, when labels help readers find something, I'm for it. When we start the name-calling, I'm less enchanted.