Tuesday, May 29, 2007

To Cozy or Not to Cozy

That is the question.

I grew up reading Agatha Christie. And as much as I enjoyed Hercule Poirot and his little grey cells, I preferred Miss Marple. Let's face it, that little spinster has spawned a lot of offspring. Jessica Fletcher immediately comes to mind. Tommy and Tuppence were a lot of fun, too, and set the stage for other sleuthing couples.

Many who write in what can be called the cozy genre hate the moniker. They prefer "domestic mystery". Whatever. I like the sound of cozy. I picture an overstuffed chair, doilies on the arms and afghan draped over the back, next to a little piecrust table. A good reading lamp, a cup of tea (Earl Grey, of course), a few snickerdoodles on a Royal Daulton plate and a ginger cat curled up on a braided rug. All set before a cheery fire in the fireplace. What could be better?

Today, however, the thriller is king. Shoot 'em up bang bangs with explosions and gory details. Not that I don't enjoy those, too. It's just...if I'm going to spend the time it takes to write a novel in one world or the other, I'd prefer the doilies and snickerdoodles.

Having said that, my mystery doesn't take place in England but in Colorado. The protagonist isn't an aging spinster but a 35-year-old single father. He has an Australian Shepherd instead of the ginger cat. And there may some sex and violence thrown in for good measure.

I don't plan to post any excerpts here, but will chronicle the trials, tribulations and triumphs of turning out that first cozy. Right now, I'm at page 109.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Bret's Editor said...

Funny..."cozy" brings exactly the same thought to my mind! I promise I'll sit in just such a setting to read your book when it's done, to get the full effect. I don't have a piecrust table, so my little cherry nesting tables will have to do.